Saturday, May 12, 2012

Steak Frites



Tonight we had a French bistro experience for dinner - Steak Frites.  I had a couple of lovely melt-in-your-mouth bacon wrapped sirloins from Flannigan's butcher shop.  I sliced up a fresh tomato and sauteed some mushrooms and onion as sides.


I started by peeling a very large potato and used a mandoline to cut them into a julienne cut.


These were left covered in cold water while the oil heated up.  


I then browned the steaks and crisped the bacon on all sides.  They were then put in a 350 degree oven to finish cooking while I sauteed the mushroom and onion.


I fried the chips in batches and kept them warm in the oven.  The mushroom and onion was added to the steak pan in the oven.


A couple of Tbsps of cognac and a couple of Tbsps of cream were added to the pan and poured over the steak when it was plated.  We like our steak medium rare and so they were in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.


It was wonderful and with a crisp glass of wine, I could imagine sitting in a small bistro in Paris.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment