Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Crab Cheese Ball


This is one of my favourite appetizers and I always make it for Christmas.  It only takes a few minutes to throw together but start with room temperature cream cheese or it will be a lot of work.  I wanted to have 2 small and 2 fairly large cheese balls so I increased the recipe by fifty percent.  The recipe below will make 2 good sized cheese balls - one for you and one to give to a friend.

Ingredients

2 X 8 oz pkg of cream cheese
1 Tbsp of mayonnaise
2 tsp of finely chopped or grated fresh garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp of finely chopped sweet onion
1 can of crab meat
1 1/2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
1 cup of chopped pecans


In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese and mayo and grated cheese.  I usually use the orange coloured old Cheddar but I had some extra old white Cheddar for another recipe so that is what I used today.  Then stir in your onion, garlic and a drained can of lump crab meat.  You could also substitute a can of salmon.  It is really good as well but I prefer the crab.  Once it is well mixed, form into 2 balls and roll them in pecans (you can substitute any nuts you like).  Chill for 2 or 3 hours and serve with crackers.


No comments:

Post a Comment