Sunday, September 15, 2013

Mustard Beans


INGREDIENTS

16 cups of yellow beans, washed and cut into pieces (I used 10 cups)
3 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of dry mustard
1/2 cup of flour
3 cups white vinegar
1 Tbsp celery seed
1 Tbsp turmeric


So it won't be lumpy, whisk the dry mustard and flour together.  Add one cup of vinegar at a time and whisk until there aren't any lumps.  Boil the beans just until they are tender and then drain.  I then put them in cold water to stop the cooking process.  Pour your mustard and flour mixture into a large pot.  Add the sugar and spices and cook until boiling.  At the same time, I am sterilizing my bottles.  If you need directions, check my blog for chili sauce post.


  Whisk constantly until the mixture thickens like caramel.


Dump your beans in.


Gently stir to mix beans in sauce.


Spoon into your sterilized jars.


The recipe says it makes 7 pints but I didn't have enough beans for 16 cups.  I had about 10 cups but I made the full sauce recipe and I used it all.  I would advise you to use 10 cups.  I used 5 and 1/2 small jam jars and 2 pints jars.  I then did a 10 minute water bath (except the part jar which went right into the fridge).
Enjoy,

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment