Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Salisbury Steak - The Economical Answer to What's for Dinner?


I made this because my friend, Sandy wanted to know if I had a recipe for Salisbury Steak.  Well I didn't cause I've never thought of making it.  Kind of strange as I've eaten enough of it when Swanson's made it!  It actually was delicious and definitely something I would make again.

I started by making large homemade beef patties with about a pound of ground beef, a beaten egg, 3 Tbsp of finely chopped cooking onion, half a cup of fresh breadcrumbs and salt and pepper to taste.  I combined all ingredients well and made 4 large patties.  2 went into the freezer for another day and 2 went into  a heated pan with a Tbsp of olive oil.


While I was cooking the beef, I chopped up about 10 mushrooms and half a small cooking onion. 


Once the patties were almost cooked, I added the mushrooms and onion and cooked til they started to caramelize.   I also added a couple of pinches of dried thyme and salt and pepper. If you are cooking all 4 patties, you might want to take them out of the pan while you are cooking the veggies.


Once the vegetables are caramelized, push them to the side and add a Tbsp of flour.  Stir to cook the flour and mix it with the veg.


Once the flour is absorbed, add a cup of beef broth and half a cup of red wine.  Stir and bring to a boil.  Return the patties to the pan now if you took them out.  Let the pan simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.


I served my Salisbury Steak with a baked potato with sour cream and fresh chives and some lovely peas.  This was comfort food at its' best and a very economical meal as well and these days - that is something to smile about.

No comments:

Post a Comment