Sunday, September 11, 2011

Braised Chicken with Shallots


I am using up some of the million of cherry tomatoes that my garden has been growing.  I'm also enjoying the new crop of shallots and using some of the last of my fresh tarragon...


I was planning on using chicken breasts with skin and bones for this but whoever did the butchering... Well they didn't do a very good job.  The bones were sharp and jagged and I decided it would just be better to de-bone the the breasts.  The cats were happy because I cooked up the fillets and the trimmings for their dinner.  For us, I started out by dredging the breasts in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.  I fried them in a little oil, skin side down til crispy.


Then I fried up 2 cloves of chopped garlic and 6 shallots that were peeled and halved.


Once they started to brown a little, I added a half a cup of white wine.  I deglazed the pan, scraping up the nice brown bits.  Then I stirred in a couple of teaspoons of mustard which bubbled and made a nice sticky sauce.


I added about a cup of water and laid the chicken breasts back on top.  I then turned the heat down to simmer and covered it and let it cook for 20 minutes.  If these breasts still had the bone in, I would have cooked them about 35 minutes.


Then I cut my cherry tomatoes in half, I used about 20 of them for two of us.  The chicken is removed to a platter and covered with foil.  The tomatoes are added to the sauce and it is brought to a boil.  I then spooned it over the chicken and topped it with torn tarragon leaves.  Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment