Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pesto for the Freezer


The basil is almost waist high in the garden and it's time to harvest it before the frost gets it.  I picked about 3 cups of leaves and washed them well...


I peeled a couple of garlic cloves and threw them in the food processor with about a 1/4 tsp of white sea salt and half a cup of toasted almonds.  Sometimes I use pine nuts but I'm feeling economical this year.  Using the chopping blade, I whirred that around and then added the basil and a Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.  Pulse again...then add about 1/2 cup of olive oil in a steady stream while the machine runs.  Next add about 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and process again.  If the pesto is too tight, add a bit more oil.  Store in a container in the freezer and you can spoon out what you need during the winter for your recipes. It'll be a fragrant taste of summer during the cold winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment