Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stuffed Peppers


We had stuffed peppers for dinner tonight - the perfect meal.  Not only simple to make but it has protein, vegetable and rice all in one dish!

I don't have a recipe for this.  I just make it but here are the ingredients I used today..


Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.  Brown some ground beef - for two servings, I use about a cup.  I season with salt and pepper and cook it slowly in a frypan so you don't need to add fat.  When it is almost done, I add the vegetables.  Today I used onion, celery and one clove of garlic. Often I add mushrooms but use whatever you like or whatever you have leftover in the fridge.  The vegetables should equal about a cup.  I also add some dry seasoning at this stage.  I often use Italian herbs like oregano, basil, etc.  You can go Mexican with a fajita or taco seasoning mix.  Whatever flavours you like are perfectly fine.


Once the vegetables are softened, add about a cup of cooked rice.  I prefer brown rice but used white tonight.  Next step is to add about a cup of diced tomatoes.  Stir to mix well and then add about half a cup of mozzarella cheese.  Stir to melt and spoon into a pepper that has been halved and de-seeded.  I like to add about a Tbsp of liquid to the bottom of the dish before placing it in the oven,  Today I used tomato juice but water works just as well.  I sprinkle the top with some more grated mozzarella cheese - about 1/2 a cup.


The peppers need to bake about 30 minutes until they are softened.  I pierce them with a knife tip to make sure they are ready.  This is an easy and healthy dinner so enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment