Saturday, December 10, 2011

Caramel Pecan Bars


Yum!  This one of my favourite square recipes.  I don't know why but I only make it a Christmas so it always makes me think of the holidays!

Ingredients

Base:
2/3 cup of butter
1/3 cup of lightly packed brown sugar
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 beaten egg

Topping:
about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of whole pecans
3/4 cup of butter
1/2 cup of liquid honey
3/4 cup of lightly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup of whipping cream

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9 by 13 pan with non-stick spray.  Combine all the base ingredients in a food processor and then dump into your prepared pan.  Using the back of a spoon, press the base firmly into the pan.  Then bake it for 15 minutes.


I don't like to continue with the recipe until the base is out of the oven because you really need to move quickly once you are making the caramel.  So it's a good time to put your feet up and have a cup of tea.
Once the base is baked, place all the pecans (see below).


I like to line them up so you can cut the squares into pieces with a single pecan in each one.  In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter at low heat and add the honey.  Then add brown sugar and bring to a boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly.  Boil on as low a temperature as possible so you don't scorch the butter or sugar.


Then take it off the heat and add the whipping cream. It will bubble up a lot so be prepared.  Stir until it settles down and it will be a lovely caramel colour.


Now spoon it gently over the pecans.  If you pour it over, all your pecans will "swim" away.  So spoon it gently and evenly and use a fork to move any pecans that shift.  Now put it in the oven very gently and bake for 15 minutes more.  When you take it out of the oven, it will still be runny.  Make sure you let it cool completely.  I either put it in the fridge or cover it well and leave it in the unheated sun room overnight.  Then you will be able to cut up the squares cleanly and store in the fridge or in the freezer until you are ready to eat them.  Now ask me if I followed my own advice ;)  Well not really, I had to cut a couple of squares just to taste.  The rest are cooling properly now.  I can give my seal of approval - they are delish.  Enjoy! Merry Christmas...

No comments:

Post a Comment