Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Swiss Steak


This was one of my favourite meals when I was a child.  I remember my mother always used to make this on Friday nights when my sister and her husband were coming from Toronto for the weekend.

It is simple to make and holds well in the oven if you aren't sure when your guests are arriving.  I've also put leftovers away in the freezer for a "TV" dinner on a night I don't feel like cooking.


Ingredients

2 lbs of round steak, cut into serving pieces
1 green pepper, cut into chunks
1 medium sweet onions, thickly sliced
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
1/4 cup shortening or a good oil
1/4 cup ketchup
2 cups of beef broth

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Start by chopping veg, melt a tsp of shortening and saute the veg on medium.  Once the veg are softened, spoon them out onto another plate.  Pound the steak with a meat mallet.  (That's my Mom helping out)


Mix the flour with the dry mustard and season with salt and pepper.  Dredge the meat in the flour and brown in batches in a little more fat.


Once the meat is all browned, deglaze the pan with the beef broth.  Add the ketchup and stir well to mix.  Turn the heat off and return the meat to the pan.  Layer the vegetables over the meat and broth.  Cover with a lid and bake for at least one and half hours.  Serve with creamed potatoes and another vegetable if you'd like.  I hope you enjoy this family recipe - it always makes me think of childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment