Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cocoa-Oat Delites


I am finally getting around to starting my Christmas baking.  I've been redecorating my kitchen so my baking has been put on the back burner  (lol - ok, not quitting my day job, I know).  This a easy recipe that my sister Connie gave me.  It tastes great - very chocolaty with chewy coconut.  You make it on top of  the stove and then freeze it.  How easy is that?


Ingredients

2 cups of white sugar
6 Tbsp of cocoa
1/2 cup of  butter
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup of sweetened coconut
3 cups of rolled oats (not instant)

It is a good idea to measure out your ingredients because this goes quite quickly once you start.  Using a large saucepan, I melt the butter on medium heat while I measure the rest.  I put the sugar and cocoa in one measuring cup, the milk goes into another and the oats and coconut get measured out in my largest measuring cup.  It is also handy to line about 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper before you begin.

Once the butter is melted (don't scrimp here - it's only 1/2 cup and this recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies), add the sugar, cocoa and milk and stir to mix.  After it is well mixed, turn up the heat and bring the chocolate mixture to a boil.


Quickly add the vanilla and take off the heat.  Quickly stir in oats and coconut.


Drop spoonfuls of the mixture on the cookie sheets (I like to use a melon baller to make little ones but I also used two teaspoons today to make bigger ones).  You need to work quickly because as the mixture cools down, it is harder to manipulate.  Freeze your cookies for an hour or so.  Once they are firm, you can store them in a container in the fridge or freezer.  I prefer to store my in the freezer.  They will keep well up to a month and only need to be taken out for 10 or 15 minutes before serving.  Enjoy and stay tuned for peanut butter balls (the next Christmas recipe).


No comments:

Post a Comment