Saturday, August 25, 2012

Cottage Pie



Tonight I felt like comfort food.  Even though the temperatures were in the 30's, the air conditioner was on and the kitchen was hot from jam-making, so I decided to put the oven on.  We had cottage pie and Mom and I both enjoyed it very much.  Such a simple and homey meal...



Ingredients for 4

1 lb of ground beef
1/4 cup of diced onions
1/4 cup of frozen peas
1/4 cup of fresh or frozen corn
1 carrot
beef broth
3 medium potatoes
1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup of milk
2 Tbsp of butter
freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp of dried oregano
salt & pepper


Start by boiling 3 medium potatoes for mashed topping.  

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  A pound of freshly ground beef from the butcher was cooked with some diced onion and salt and pepper.  It is then spooned into the bottom of a casserole.  The carrot is diced and par-boiled in some beef stock (about 1/2 cup).  Then peas, corn and carrots are spread over the top.  Add about 3 Tbsp of beef broth plus what is left in the pot with the carrots.  Season with salt, pepper and oregano.

Once the potatoes are soft, mash and add butter, milk, cheddar cheese and nutmeg to taste (I used about a tsp).  Beat until they are light and fluffy.  Spread over the top of the filling.


Spread out the potatoes and either make twirls or run the tines of a fork over the top.  That way, you'll have some nice bits that will brown.


Bake it for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  I like mine with a little ketchup...



Enjoy,

Julie

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, I think I just found dinner....I think that I have all of the ingredients, thanks!

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete